Better Writers = Better Teachers of Writing?


 Should we seek to become better writers in order to become better teachers. 

Writing doesn't come easy for everyone and that's okay. There's no shame in admitting it. 






As teachers, we are tasked with the responsibility of creating a space where our students can develop into the best writers that they can possibly become. In order to do so, it is imperative that we ourselves practice our own writing so that when teaching writing, we are able to share experiences and help students through the process, because we ourselves have been through the process. 

In the article by Gillespie (1985), it is evident that persons in education have opposing views on whether it is important for teachers to be able to write "a pretty little poem or story". In the article,  a school administrator was of the opinion that workshops are not needed in order to teach students how to write. However, Gillespie disagreed and proposed a few reasons why it is important for teachers themselves to know how to write. 

Two of those reasons that resonated with me are: 
  1. Teachers provide a positive model for students. 
  2. When teachers write, it helps to demystify the act of writing.
It is important that as teachers we are aware of the writing process in order to model it for our students. In doing so, students will be better able to monitor their own writing just like they would have seen their teacher do. After modeling the writing process, students will be able to see that even the experienced writers go through a number of drafts before the final product. It's not all magic, sunshine and rainbows. 




In order to further convince the administrator, Gillespie pointed out a number of things he now knows because he writes. One important thing that I can definitely agree with him on, is that I don't like vague written comments on my writing either. As a student- teacher, I strive to  produce my best work. In doing so, I have come to the realization that I do not like vague comments such as: confusing and restructure, among others. These comments leave me more confused than when I handed in the draft. I am a student who prefers more guided comments which would help me to be able to correct whatever the mistake was and not repeat it in future assignments. 

So if I do not like vague comments, why then should I in turn, do this to my students when I return to the classroom?

This article, Becoming Your Own Expert - Teachers as Writers, is indeed food for thought and has definitely made an impact. 



- Onida Tyrell




Comments

  1. I agree with everything that was expressed Onida. As educators, we should try to model good writing in order to inspire and help our students as they improve their writing skills. I wholeheartedly believe that when we act as role models for our students, our passion for and difficulties as writers will come automatically. We should write and add value to our writing by expressing our thoughts in order to inspire our students to write well. Furthermore, it enables students to reflect on our writing in order to aid in their own improvement.
    As you expressed about disliking vague comments, I second this! When assigned a task, I desire guided feedback so that I am aware of my weaknesses and strive to improve them. This will also help me improve my writing skills, which will aid me in becoming a better writing teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Onida, I agree with everything that you have pointed out. As primary school teachers and teachers on a whole we should indeed model what we want from our students. In this case to be an effective writing teacher we should model the writing process for our students so that they can see that writing is definitely not a “magic ability”. In addition, I too hate vague comments as u rightly said that you are left more confused than before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Onida, I too am of the opinion that teachers should model good writing. In order to motivate our students to become superb writers, and in turn effective communicators, we as teachers must be aware of what good writing entails. We then would be able to impart that knowledge to our students so that they can develop good writing skills and become more articulate.

    REPLY

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is difficult for teachers to model good writing if we ourselves are not good writers. Thus, we must seek to better ourselves in order to help our students

    ReplyDelete
  5. Onida, I wholeheartedly agree with your post. In order to help students and encourage them to become better writers we must be motivated and seek to become better writers ourselves. It is really a struggle for us when we don't like writing.
    -P. Hodge

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Descriptive Writing "Painting a Picture with Words"

Persuasive Writing - The Circus of Persuasion

The Colourful World of Descriptive Writing